Preparing for Independence takes a holistic approach in working to help individuals overcome the multiple barriers that prevent them from finding and maintaining employment.
Preparing for Independence will:
- Provide one on one counseling at intake
- Make referrals to appropriate agencies to assist you in removing barriers to success
- Offer assistance in creating a professional resume
- Assist with job search strategies and networking skills
- Help with the completion of online job applications
- Make referrals to job locator and housing locator at PA Career Link
- Encourage attendance at monthly on-site employability workshops
- Provide support to help you retain your job
Paul W. came to Chester County OIC in the summer of 2013. He was unemployed and living in a homeless shelter when he entered the program. He kept his weekly scheduled appointments and worked diligently at his office visits to update his resume and search for employment. His hard work paid off and he obtained a warehouse position locally earning $16.50/hr. with benefits. He was able to move into a rental property in the area and continues to do well at this job.
Juana F. came to the program in the spring of 2014. She was unable to find work as a LPN and was working as a certified nursing assistant in a hospital. She attended the job fair at The Charles Melton Center with the nursing assistants and landed an LPN position at a rehabilitation hospital earning $21.25/hr. She was also offered a position as an LPN at Bowling Green Brandywine.